Well not really.
Sneaking a quick peak or responding to a message on your mobile device may seem like an innocent enough act, but you do need to consider the impression that you are conveying if you get caught in class.
Most professors will think one or all of these things about you:
- You’d rather be somewhere else
- You aren’t interested in the topic
- You don’t care about what the professor or your fellow classmates are talking about
- You don’t really care about the content/course/program, etc.
- You are easily distracted
At the end of the day it boils down to RESPECT. You get what you give.
Try this next class. Turn off your phone (vibrations and all) before class starts and put it somewhere really hard to reach so you won’t be tempted to use it. Make note of any changes in your level of focus, understanding and participation that day. I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised.